Sunday, April 17, 2011

Please Sir, I want some more

It's Sunday.  I've been up since 7am, which is virtually unheard of for me on the weekend.  And it wasn't even to try to be holy and attend church.  It was to watch the F1 Grand Prix.  Crazy, I know, but the husband is obsessed with it so I'm trying to see what all the fuss is about.  I'm good like that.  Wasn't too bad in the end.  After that I randomly realised I've chipped a tooth (this will be my 5th visit to the dentist so far this year, yuh).  However, I didn't let that deter me from taking my first run of the year!  It wasn't great but at least it got some blood supply to my Behind after a long winter of sitting on it (it deserves a capital B as it has become its own person of late).  My sofa's feeling a little lonely right now.

So, remember in my last post I mentioned that Tom and I were loving fruit crumbles at the mo.  Well friends, I was not lying.  Therefore I would like to present to you an alternative, some would say easier, version of the humble crumble.  The Fruit Crisp... or is it a cobbler?  I get confused as to what constitutes a crumble, a crisp, and a cobbler.  The fruit filling is virtually the same (plump, juicy blueberries interspersed with apple chunks), but the topping is more like a granola hat.

A Fruit Crimbbler (see what I did there?)



Ingredients
300g fresh blueberries
1 large cooking apple (also known as a Bramley apple), peeled and chopped into chunks
2 tbsp light brown sugar

1 cup rolled oats
4 tbsp gluten-free plain flour blend
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp dairy-free spread
1/3-1/2 cup caster sugar

The Really Easy Bit
Pre-heat oven to (fan) 180C.

Put the fruit into a 9-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle the sugar over the fruit.  Place in the oven whilst you get started on the topping.

Put all the other ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with your hands, rubbing the mixture between your fingers so that the spread is evenly distrbuted and it becomes like loads of large crumbs.

Remove the fruit filling from the oven.  Pour your granola-ish topping all over the fruit filling so that it evenly covers most of the fruit (doesn't matter if there's some fruit poking out on the edges).

Put into the oven (middle shelf) and cook for 30-35 mins or until the top is golden brown.  Serve with whatever takes your fancy.  We've been eating it with Swedish Glaze ice-cream.


Wow, how rubbish is the above image!  Ah well.  And I have just realised that today is Palm Sunday... maybe I should attend church this evening...

Oh, and this recipe is gluten-free, and vegan friendly.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a good wife! Grand Prix and crumble in one day! I've never tried GP, but I know quite a few people (male and female) who say that once you get into it, it's strangely addictive..

    And thanks for the comments. I'm sure you'll relate to how hugely relieving it is to find someone who is also an almost-vegan. It's a confusing decision to reintroduce a little eggs and dairy, so finding others who sit on the cusp like this is a nice support to have. It has also encouraged me to keep animal products to minimum, rather than just lapsing back to ovo-lacto.

    Btw, there are marathon highlights on BBC at 6! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gahh I want some crumble and ice cream, it's not FAIR! :(

    Looks boodiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Domestic Goddess - watching the Grand Prix and doing a spot of baking. Your husband must have been in heaven! It was really great weather today for a run, so it looks like you chose a good time to get back out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay crumble! Love the sound of that topping as well. Oh and thank you for putting me on your blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks SOOOOO good! I really love fruit crumbles (especially with ice-cream)! I never knew I would like them so much, usually fruity desserts aren't my thing, but after making one for Cody...I ate nearly the whole thing without sharing. Must make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I TOTALLY SAW WHAT YOU DID THERE. :P This is really similar to my mum's best crumble, except she uses brown sugar and adds walnuts :)

    ReplyDelete